Thursday, February 23, 2012

Putting in the new raised beds

It's been awhile since I have posted but I have got some things done. I recently took a long weekend and was able to get my new raised beds in. I found some great rough cut 1" X "10 Cedar boards in twelve foot lengths from Craigslist. I decided carrying 12 foot boards in my 6 foot truck bed was not for me. I thought I'd take a chance and see if he would deliver the lumber and to my surprise he delivered 25 miles to my front door for only $20! I felt really blessed by this and he shared some pictures of his garden and his new Hugelkulter gardens he is experimenting with. So with the boards at hand the construction began in my garden. I had a tough time getting the layout down . One of my goals was to try to take more advantage of my rock wall. To accomplish this I built the South end of the beds even with each other and "stair-stepped" the North end to get an equal amount of space between the beds and the wall in order to put my most heat-loving plants nearer the wall.

I knew the best weather I could expect in February was cold and occasional showers so I knew I needed to be prepared. I decided to make my shed into a temporary break room and shelter from the heavier squalls.
My rest spot notice the thermos on the shelf? I'm going to call this" my happy spot"!

So what's better than working with electrical power tools in the rain? I ended up getting quite a bit done. I think leveling the beds was almost as hard as building them. I got them in and leveled and didn't run out of coffee. It was nice to get them in.
Almost leveled.
I have decided to remove all the soil and bark mulch from my garden area and replace it with crushed rock. I am hoping to get some better drainage and retain more heat. The second day was spent scraping the topsoil and well composted wood chips from my garden bed and putting it in the new beds. On my next days off i will be adding compost and soil to finish off the beds.
Looking to the North

I have  nine, ten and eleven foot beds, all four feet across.
In the top photo you can see the edge of my territory. The dark pot is for Mary's petunias.
She normally has five pots the first one isn't in the picture.
While we were admiring the beds she actually said " Maybe we could move this pot to the front and you could put your new apple trees here so they can get the full sun". After I regained consciousness I realized she had actually given me more space for my gardening! Now if I can just get her to let me take out part of the back lawn. Hmmmmm better not push it.

7 comments:

  1. I love raised bed gardening, as you probably know if you have visited my blog. They are looking really great, keep up the good work!

    http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com/2012/02/jethro-bodine-gardener.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clint,
      I have seen your blog and found "back to Eden" what a great movie and I like your blog!
      Larry

      Delete
  2. That was very nice of her to offer up that extra area! Your new beds look great. Leveling is definitely the hardest part of putting beds in on a sloped area. I terraced all of my beds in the back section of the garden and leveled each one as I went. Cutting into the slope to keep everything level was a real pain but the end product is really sweet looking.

    I like your working shelter area - in our region that is a necessity to have a place to retreat to. I am fortunate to have my shop right next to the garden so I use it as my staging area for projects and a place to work in while rain is happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura,
      Unfortunately that area has been a mudpit since this post. I am getting some woodchips to put down on my next weekend off. I need to get them done next weekend. It's time to start planting!
      Larry

      Delete
  3. Very nice. I like that you have used the rock wall as an additional heat source. I think the area near the wall will warm up earlier than the rest of the wall and will be warmer in the summer. That will make an excellent location for the more heat-loving plants. Nice score on the cedar boards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony,
      I just hope we get some sun this year! It is looking better than last year as far as predictions!
      Larry

      Delete
    2. Tony,
      I just hope we get some sun this year! It is looking better than last year as far as predictions!
      Larry

      Delete